Recipe: Ham & Cheese Croquettes
Two Christmases ago, I was possessed by a domestic goddess wannabe spirit & decided to cook something for dinner. I ended up with my Tita Ging’s ham & cheese croquette recipe — something crispy on the outside, soft & filling on the inside. I surprised myself with the delicious outcome. You might want to try making some yourself!
For mashed potatoes:
- 1 kilo potatoes, peeled & scrubbed
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 cups water
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/4 cup butter
- salt & pepper
- 200 grams ham
- 1 bar cheese, grated
- 3 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs beaten
- oil for frying
- In a hot saucepan, boil potatoes with salt & water until tender. Drain.
- Transfer potatoes to bowl then mash till smooth.
- In bowl combine other ingredients for mashed potatoes & microwave till melted. Season with salt & pepper. Set aside.
- In skillet, cook ham. Drain on paper towel. In same pan, saute the onions. Stir in ham. Season with pepper.
- Form croquettes by placing 2 tbsp of mashed potatoes on palm & shape into an oval. At the center, mix in the ham & some cheese. Top with another 2 tbsp of mashed potatoes. Seal edges to enclose filling while shaping it into a ball.
- Dredge in flour, shape all mashed potatoes, arrange in tray & freeze for at least 20 minutes.
- Coat the croquettes with flour then dip in beaten eggs. Cover completely with breadcrumbs. Chill again for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil for frying then cook till golden brown. Place in paper towels.
Enjoy! Serves 4.